The Redoubt was built between 1808 and 1810 to protect the port of Harwich against the threat of Napoleonic invasion. It was part of the scheme that included the construction of 29 Martello Towers on the East Anglian coast. The
The Electric Palace cinema, Harwich, is one of the oldest purpose-built cinemas to survive complete with its silent screen, original projection room and ornamental frontage still intact. It was designed by the architect Harold Ridley Hooper of Ipswich, Suffolk and
Halfpenny Pier in Harwich is one of the Essex town’s main attractions with visitors enjoying a stroll along its Victorian wooden planks and taking in views of the river and the massive container ships using the nearby port of Felixstowe.